Yemeni security forces have foiled a plot to carry out 10 suicide bombings against government buildings in the capital Sanaa, the defence ministry's news website reported on Monday.
A wave of arrests targeting a suspected Al-Qaeda cell held responsible for a May attack that killed more than 100 soldiers in the capital netted the 10 militants charged with carrying out the bombings, the 26sep.net website quoted "informed sources" as saying.
The arrests "foiled 10 terrorist suicide bombings in the capital Sanaa which the group was planning to carry out against several government facilities," it reported.
Security services also found the last testament of the May 21 bomber, who was less than 18 years old, 26sep.net added.
National security chief Ali Mohammed al-Ansi said in comments published by the ministry's 26 September newspaper on Thursday that the security forces had made multiple arrests.
Signup to our newsletter and follow us on Facebook and Twitter!
They followed the announcement on June 20 of the arrest of Majed al-Qulaisi, a suspected member of the cell that planned the May attack against troops rehearsing for a military parade.
Ansi vowed to continue the "hunt" for Al-Qaeda fighters, saying security forces have carried out a "series of operations against Al-Qaeda terrorists" across Yemen.
Separately on Monday, a commander in Yemen's intelligence unit was killed when a bomb strapped under the driver's seat of his car exploded, a security official told AFP.
Speaking on condition of anonymity, the official said Mohammed Al-Qudami died in hospital from wounds sustained in the blast which took place "just a few metres from President Abdrabuh Mansur Hadi's house" in the capital Sanaa.
So far, no one has claimed responsibility for the bombing, but the official said security forces "suspect Al-Qaeda is behind the attack."
Last month, Yemeni troops recaptured a string of Al-Qaeda bastions across the troubled south and east where the militants had seized control last year.