Three Yemeni soldiers were killed and six others wounded in a roadside bombing that targeted the convoy of a security chief in the southeastern city of Mukalla on Sunday, a security official and witnesses said.
The bomb went off as a three-vehicle convoy passed through the Huwaysh neighbourhood of the coastal city, witnesses said.
It targeted the convoy of Colonel Abdulwahab al-Waeli, head of Central Security in the city, the security official said.
Signup to our newsletter and follow us on Facebook and Twitter!
It was not clear who was behind the attack but Al-Qaeda remains active in the south and east of impoverished Yemen.
Al-Qaeda loyalists have carried out a spate of deadly attacks against security forces and their militia allies since President Abdrabuh Mansur Hadi came to power earlier this year pledging to crush the militants.
Al-Qaeda took advantage of a nearly year-long uprising against Hadi's predecessor, veteran strongman Ali Abdullah Saleh, to seize large swathes of the south and east.
In an all-out offensive launched in May, the army retook a string of towns in Abyan province, which neighbours Aden to the east.