Undated image made available Twitter by the Tunisian branch of the Islamic State (IS) group claims to show Seifeddine Rezgui, the gunman who carried out the deadly attack in the Tunisian resort town of Sousse
Undated image made available Twitter by the Tunisian branch of the Islamic State (IS) group claims to show Seifeddine Rezgui, the gunman who carried out the deadly attack in the Tunisian resort town of Sousse © - Tunisian branch of the Islamic State Group/AFP/File
Undated image made available Twitter by the Tunisian branch of the Islamic State (IS) group claims to show Seifeddine Rezgui, the gunman who carried out the deadly attack in the Tunisian resort town of Sousse
<
>
AFP
Last updated: July 6, 2015

Tunisia resort gunman 'a victim like all others': mother

The mother of the gunman who killed 38 on a Tunisian beach claimed in an interview with Britain's Sunday Times that her son was a victim of "brainwashing" who previously would not have hurt a mouse.

Tourists fled in horror as a Tunisian identified as 23-year-old Seifeddine Rezgui pulled a Kalashnikov assault rifle from inside a beach umbrella and went on a shooting spree outside a five-star hotel.

"When they told me my son had killed all these people I said no, it's impossible," Radhia Manai, 49, told The Sunday Times on Saturday.

He killed 30 Britons, three Irish nationals, two Germans, one Belgian, one Portuguese and a Russian.

"I can't believe it," his mother added. "Once there was a mouse in the house and I asked Seifeddine to kill it and he refused saying, 'I can't kill anything.'

"God bless the victims, all those people and their poor families, and I feel so sorry but I want to tell them it wasn't my son who did this, it was another Seifeddine."

Talking at her home in the farming town of Gaafour, she accused militants of "brainwashing" her son and claimed he too was "a victim like all the others."

"I want to know who is the head of all this, who did this to him and I want them to go to prison or be killed," she added.

The gunman's father Hakim Rezgui told the paper his son liked breakdancing and "talking about football —- he liked Real Madrid, Liverpool and Man United."

British Prime Minister David Cameron announced on Sunday that the victims were to receive a permanent memorial as the last of the bodies were returned home.

blog comments powered by Disqus