A member of the Tunisian special forces stands at the entrance of the Bardo Museum on March 20, 2015 in Tunis, two days after gunmen attacked the museum
A member of the Tunisian special forces stands at the entrance of the Bardo Museum on March 20, 2015 in Tunis, two days after gunmen attacked the museum © Fethi Belaid - AFP/File
A member of the Tunisian special forces stands at the entrance of the Bardo Museum on March 20, 2015 in Tunis, two days after gunmen attacked the museum
AFP
Last updated: May 28, 2015

Tunisia arrests second Morocco suspect in Bardo attack

Tunisia has arrested a second Moroccan suspect over a deadly attack in March on the Bardo museum in Tunis, detaining him at the border with Libya, the interior ministry said Thursday.

Noureddine al-Naibi was arrested on Sunday at the Ras Jedir border post on suspicion of indirect involvement in the attack, ministry spokesman Mohamed Ali Aroui told AFP.

He said the suspect was using a forged passport.

Last week, a young Moroccan man was arrested in Italy for allegedly helping in the March 18 attack carried out by two Tunisians who gunned down 21 tourists and a policeman before they were killed.

Abdelmajid Touil, 22, a migrant smuggled into Italy by boat in February, has insisted on his innocence and is fighting a Tunisian request for his extradition.

Around 50 people have been detained in Tunisia as part of an investigation into the attack claimed by the Islamic State group.

Tunis pinned responsibility for the museum massacre on Lokmane Abu Sakhr, an Algerian jihadist killed by Tunisian security forces at the end of March.

Tunisia has also issued an arrest warrant for an Algerian national following the museum attack.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Stay Connected
twitter icon Twitter 13,558 linkedin icon LinkedIn 463
facebook icon Facebook 87,173 google+ icon Google+ 272