Libyan men from the southeastern city of Kufra rest in a hospital in Tripoli on June 30, 2012 after being wounded in recent tribal clashes
Libyan men from the southeastern city of Kufra rest in a hospital in Tripoli on June 30, 2012 after being wounded in recent tribal clashes © Mahmud Turkia - AFP
Libyan men from the southeastern city of Kufra rest in a hospital in Tripoli on June 30, 2012 after being wounded in recent tribal clashes
AFP
Last updated: January 26, 2014

South Libya clashes leave 88 dead in two weeks

Two weeks of ethnic clashes in Libya's main southern city Sebha have killed at least 88 people and wounded more than 130, the city's hospital director said on Saturday.

"Between the outbreak of the fighting on January 11 and Friday evening, the number of dead totalled 88," Abdallah Ouheida told AFP.

He said the full death toll was almost certainly higher as casualties had also been taken to other hospitals in the region.

He said there had been sporadic clashes on Saturday but no immediate new casualties.

The fighting erupted between members of the Toubou minority, a non-Arab ethnic group, and armed Arab tribesmen of the Awled Sleiman.

There has since between fighting between the Awled Sleiman and other Arab tribes that is reported to have involved supporters of slain dictator Moamer Kadhafi.

Kadhafi loyalists have taken advantage of the chaos to launch repeated attacks on the city's Tamenhant air base, municipal council chief Ayoub Al-Zarrouk said.

Libya's General National Congress declared a state of emergency in the south on January 18 at an extraordinary session convened to discuss the violence in Sebha.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Stay Connected
twitter icon Twitter 13,558 linkedin icon LinkedIn 463
facebook icon Facebook 87,173 google+ icon Google+ 272