Jubayer Chowdhury will face trial at the Old Bailey in June along with Shajul Islam
A man charged with the kidnapping of two Western journalists by Islamic extremists in Syria will go on trial with another man in June, he was told when he appeared at the Old Bailey (pictured). © Adrian Dennis - AFP/File
Jubayer Chowdhury will face trial at the Old Bailey in June along with Shajul Islam
AFP
Last updated: December 6, 2012

Pair to be tried in UK over kidnapping of journalists in Syria

A man charged with the kidnapping of two Western journalists by Islamic extremists in Syria will go on trial with another suspect in June, he was told when he appeared in a British court on Thursday.

Jubayer Chowdhury, 24, of no fixed address, appeared by videolink at the Old Bailey, the central criminal court in London, and was remanded in custody for a preliminary hearing in April.

He will be tried with a British trainee doctor, Shajul Islam, 26, on a charge of imprisoning a British photographer and a Dutch journalist against their will in July while they were covering the Syrian conflict.

The trial will start at the Old Bailey on June 5 and is expected to last six weeks.

Chowdhury was arrested by counter-terrorism police at London's Heathrow Airport last month after arriving on a flight from Bahrain.

Islam was detained at Heathrow in October after arriving on a flight from Egypt.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Stay Connected
twitter icon Twitter 13,558 linkedin icon LinkedIn 463
facebook icon Facebook 87,173 google+ icon Google+ 272