An Iraqi boy talks to an American solider on patrol in Kirkuk last month
Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki has said US forces will leave Iraq as scheduled by year's end, and that there will not be any permanent US bases in the country, a statement from his office said on Tuesday. © Ali al-Saadi - AFP
An Iraqi boy talks to an American solider on patrol in Kirkuk last month
AFP
Last updated: August 30, 2011

Maliki: US Iraq pull-out to proceed as scheduled

Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki has said US forces will leave Iraq as scheduled by year's end, and that there will not be any permanent US bases in the country, a statement from his office said on Tuesday.

"The agreement on the withdrawal of American forces will be implemented on schedule by the end of the year, and there will not be any bases for US forces here," Maliki told Al-Ittijah TV channel in an interview to be broadcast later, it said.

Iraqi leaders have approved negotiations with the United States on a post-2011 training mission, but no deal has yet been announced.

However, an extension of the US military presence in Iraq has been strongly opposed by some, notably by radical anti-US cleric Moqtada al-Sadr who has warned of "war" if American forces stay.

Unless Baghdad and Washington reach a new accord, all of the roughly 46,000 US troops still in the country must leave by December 31, under the terms of a 2008 security agreement.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Stay Connected
twitter icon Twitter 13,558 linkedin icon LinkedIn 463
facebook icon Facebook 87,173 google+ icon Google+ 272