Al-Qusbat is cut off from other rebel positions
A Libyan rebel prays on the first Friday noon prayer of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan in the Libyan rebel stronghold of Benghazi on August 5. Residents of a small Libyan town, just 100 kilometres (60 miles) from Tripoli, who took up arms against Moamer Kadhafi's regime were said to be under siege. © Abdullah Doma - AFP
Al-Qusbat is cut off from other rebel positions
AFP
Last updated: August 8, 2011

Libyan rebels report town under siege

Residents of a small Libyan town, just 100 kilometres (60 miles) from Tripoli, who took up arms against Moamer Kadhafi's regime were said to be under siege on Saturday.

A representative from Al-Qusbat's rebel military committee told AFP that the town was now surrounded by Kadhafi's forces and fears are growing of an imminent bloodbath.

"All roads going to Al-Qusbat are blocked by Kadhafi's forces. They cut electricity and communications since yesterday," Khamis Nuri el-Kasseh said from Benghazi after contacting the town by satellite phone.

"Kadhafi's forces are not yet in control of the town, but we expect it will be bloody today," he said, adding there had already been a series of arrests in suburbs.

Al-Qusbat is cut off from other rebel positions in the west of Libya, with 70 kilometres (45 miles) separating it from the nearest positions at Zliten to the east.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Stay Connected
twitter icon Twitter 13,558 linkedin icon LinkedIn 463
facebook icon Facebook 87,173 google+ icon Google+ 272