Seif al-Islam has been charged by the ICC with alleged crimes committed while trying to put down last year's revolt
Libya has denied that slain dictator Moamer Kadhafi's son Seif al-Islam, seen here in August 2011, faces imminent trial on charges of crimes against humanity, according to The Hague-based International Criminal Court. © Imed Lamloum - AFP/File
Seif al-Islam has been charged by the ICC with alleged crimes committed while trying to put down last year's revolt
AFP
Last updated: September 10, 2012

Libya rejects trial of Kadhafi's son in the Hague

Libya said on Monday that the trial of slain dictator Moamer Kadhafi's son Seif al-Islam on charges of crimes against humanity is still some way off.

A spokesman for the prosecutor general's office said that the extradition from Mauritania last week of Kadhafi's spy chief Abdullah al-Senussi meant that further inquiries were required.

"We were ready for the trial last month, but the extradition of Abdullah al-Senussi will lead to further investigations in certain cases," Milad al-Dikali said.

"The investigation will take some time. We cannot specify a new date, but in my opinion a trial could be held next year," Dikali added.

Both prosecutors and defence lawyers had said that Seif would go on trial later this month in the hilltown of Zintan, southwest of Tripoli, where he has been held since his capture by anti-Kadhafi militia in November last year.

During last year's uprising, the International Criminal Court had issued a warrant for the arrest of Kadhafi, his son and Senussi on charges of crimes against humanity.

But the new Libyan authorities have insisted that both Seif and Senussi should stand trial in their homeland.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Stay Connected
twitter icon Twitter 13,558 linkedin icon LinkedIn 463
facebook icon Facebook 87,173 google+ icon Google+ 272