Lebanon has registered its first case of the deadly MERS coronavirus, but the person who contracted it was released after showing signs of recovery, the ministry said Thursday.
The news came as Saudi Arabia, the country worst hit by the disease, announced four more deaths, bringing the toll to 121 since its first appearance there in September 2012.
Signup to our newsletter and follow us on Facebook and Twitter!
"On Thursday afternoon, a patient who had been in hospital was diagnosed as being a carrier" of the virus, the ministry said, adding that the patient left the hospital after treatment "led to a significant improvement in his health."
The ministry said "citizens have no cause for panic. They should take normal precautions to prevent respiratory diseases."
It added that it was carrying out studies to "assure itself that there no epidemic in Lebanon" and urged doctors and hospitals to "take maximum precautions and inform the ministry of any suspect cases."
Many Lebanese work in the Gulf, particularly in Saudi Arabia.