Seif al-Islam looks on from a courtroom in the Libyan town of Zintan, on May 2, 2013
Seif al-Islam looks on from a courtroom in the Libyan town of Zintan, on May 2, 2013. Seif -- the son of slain Libyan dictator Moamer Kadhafi -- and other former top regime officials will stand trial in August for crimes committed during the 2011 uprising, an aide to the prosecutor said on Monday. © - AFP/File
Seif al-Islam looks on from a courtroom in the Libyan town of Zintan, on May 2, 2013
AFP
Last updated: June 17, 2013

Kadhafi's son to stand trial in August, says Libyan prosecutor

Seif al-Islam, the son of slain Libyan dictator Moamer Kadhafi, and other former top regime officials will stand trial in August for crimes committed during the 2011 uprising, an aide to the prosecutor said on Monday.

Former spy chief Abdullah al-Senussi will be among those whose trial will begin in the first half of August, said Al-Seddik Al-Sur, a member of the prosecutor's office.

They are accused of "crimes committed against the Libyan people during the revolution" of 2011 that toppled Kadhafi's regime, and other charges, he said.

Baghdadi al-Mahmudi, the last prime minister to serve under Kadhafi, and Mansur Daw who headed the People's Guard will also be among those to stand trial, he added.

Asked if they will all be in the dock at the same time, Sur said: "This case will not be divided."

"These (former) officials met together to drum up a policy of repression and a common criminal plan, putting them on trial separately would perturbate the proceedings," he said.

"The first hearing in the trial is due to take place in the first half of August," Sur said.

The defendants also face a flurry of other charges, including the "formation of armed bands in a bid to carry out crimes that undermine state security" as well as "incitation to rape" and "confiscation of liberty", said Sur.

Seif al-Islam, 40, is being held by a brigade of former rebel fighters in Zintan, 180 kilometres (110 miles) southwest of Tripoli, since his capture in November 2011.

The International Criminal Court based in The Hague, mandated by the UN Security Council to investigate the Libyan conflict, has clashed with Libya's new authorities for the right to prosecute Seif al-Islam.

It has issued arrest warrants for Kadhafi's son and his spy chief, accusing them of crimes against humanity.

Earlier this month Libya said it will appeal to the ICC to reverse its decision to prosecute Seif al-Islam.

Last week the ICC suspended an order requiring Tripoli to hand over Senussi.

Sur insisted that Libya has the right to prosecute Seif al-Islam and Senussi on its soil.

He said that the government and the General National Congress, the elected assembly and top political body in Libya, "must assume their responsibilities and bring Seif al-Islam to Tripoli," for the trial.

Seif al-Islam has appeared on several occasions before a court in Zintan charged with illegally trying to communicate with the outside world last June.

The trial opened in January and the latest hearing was in May when Seif al-Islam was seen in good health and smiling, seated behind a grille flanked by masked policemen.

He was formally accused of "undermining state security" for meeting four ICC envoys last June, including Australian lawyer Melinda Taylor, who were themselves accused of carrying a pen camera and attempting to give Seif al-Islam a coded letter from his former right-hand man Mohammed Ismail.

Ismail is also wanted by Libyan authorities.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Stay Connected
twitter icon Twitter 13,558 linkedin icon LinkedIn 463
facebook icon Facebook 87,173 google+ icon Google+ 272