Israel's security cabinet voted on Wednesday to allow a callup of army reservists "according to need" as the Jewish state launched a campaign against Hamas militants in the Gaza Strip.
In a meeting "it was decided...to permit the IDF (army), according to need and with the approval of the defence minister, to call up reservists," a cabinet statement said.
Signup to our newsletter and follow us on Facebook and Twitter!
An army spokesman told AFP that some notices had been issued to specific personnel but there was no general callup.
Israeli aircraft earlier killed top Hamas military commander Ahmed Jaabari and his bodyguard, prompting outrage from militants who said the Jewish state had opened "the gates of hell."
In more than 20 other air strikes which followed, at least another six people were killed and 65 injured, Gaza medics said.
Israel warned this was only the start of an operation targeting Palestinian militant groups in Gaza that comes as the Jewish state prepares for general elections in January.