Barak said the attack in Bulgaria was "sponsored by Iran"
Israel is confronting a "global wave of terror" sponsored by Iran, Israel's Defence Minister Ehud Barak, pictured last month, said on Thursday, a day after an attack in Bulgaria that left six Israelis dead. © Jack Guez - AFP/File
Barak said the attack in Bulgaria was
AFP
Last updated: July 19, 2012

Israel faces Iranian global wave of terror, says Barak

Israel is confronting a "global wave of terror" sponsored by Iran, Israel's Defence Minister Ehud Barak said on Thursday, a day after an attack in Bulgaria that left six Israelis dead.

"We are facing a global wave of terror... the attack in Burgas was led by members of Hezbollah and sponsored by Iran," Barak told Israeli public radio.

"The Al-Qaeda and Islamic Jihad networks also operate globally," he added, citing a long list of recent attacks or attempted attacks on Israelis around the world.

Bulgaria's Interior Minister Tsvetan Tsvetanov said Thursday that the attack at the Black Sea airport of Burgas was carried out by a suicide bomber, and left six Israelis and one Bulgarian dead.

"There are hundreds of thousands of Israelis abroad, and our intelligence services are in contact with their foreign counterparts to share information," Barak said.

"There are often very big successes, but it doesn't always work and we must continue to live. We will do everything possible to track down the perpetrators and instigators of the Burgas attack and punish them," he added.

On Wednesday evening, Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu publicly accused Tehran and Lebanese Shiite group Hezbollah of involvement in the attack.

"All the signs point to Iran," Netanyahu said in a statement, which said the blast was the latest in a string of attempts to attack Israelis in Thailand, India, Georgia, Kenya, Cyprus and other places.

And in a phone call with Bulgaria's Prime Minister Boyko Borisov, Netanyahu "indicated that Iran and Hezbollah were conducting a global terror campaign against Israelis across the world," a statement from his office said.

Wednesday's explosion, which ripped through a bus picking up tourists arriving from Tel Aviv, is the deadliest attack on Israelis abroad since 2004.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Stay Connected
twitter icon Twitter 13,558 linkedin icon LinkedIn 463
facebook icon Facebook 87,173 google+ icon Google+ 272