Bahraini by-elections boycotted by the Shiite opposition after it walked out of parliament over violence against pro-democracy activists registered a poor turnout on Saturday, witnesses said, but the government said 51 percent had voted.
Only a dozen people were present on Saturday morning when the polling station opened in the fifth northern district, near the Shiite village of Saar outside Manama, witnesses said.
"I came because this is my country. I'm unemployed but it's not a reason not to vote," said Ali Ahmad al-Jamri, 34, a Shiite electrician who has been without work for three years.
In Manama's second constituency, ex-MP Matar Matar said that, "as expected, the turnout is poor ... I saw only some Bahrainis of Asian origins taking part in the polls."
The elections were held to replace 18 MPs of the main Shiite opposition formation Al-Wefaq, who resigned in February shortly after protests triggered a deadly response from the authorities in the Sunni-ruled Gulf kingdom.
But Bahrain's Prime Minister Sheikh Khalifa bin Salman Al-Khalifa hailed the "turnout of Bahraini people to vote" and their "keenness to cast their ballots."
"Today's by-elections are a historic case and an aspect of the democracy enjoyed in the kingdom of Bahrain," he said in a statement published by the BNA state news agency.
After polls closed, Bahrain's justice ministry said Saturday that turnout was at least 51 percent, the state television reported.
In total, 55 candidates vied for 14 seats in the 40-member chamber after four won their seats for lack of candidates.
The government had called on the 187,000 registered voters to turn out en masse.
Local daily Al-Ayyam claimed Wednesday that the government was considering penalising eligible voters who boycott the polls, including firing them from their jobs.
Signup to our newsletter and follow us on Facebook and Twitter!
But Justice Minister Sheikh Khaled bin Ali al-Khalifa said Saturday there was a "misunderstanding" and that only those "hindering the voting" process would be penalised.
The interior ministry said that 22 people were arrested for attempting to obstruct the vote by closing roads, damaging cars in a parking lot near a polling station or by pouring oil in front of another.
The government said it had established several voting centres outside the constituencies for voters "fearing intimidation in their village polling station."
Matar dismissed the claim saying that those polling centres have always been a source of suspicion over the integrity of the polls.
"I went to a polling centre. The situation was calm and there were no demonstrations around... There is no reason for those general centres," he told AFP.
"There has always been a 'floating' section of voters who are dual citizens and not clear where they are registered," he said, referring to naturalised foreigners that the Shiite majority complain that are used to tip the demographic balance.
"Having those centres make it easy to doubt the integrity of the elections," he added.
Matar, who was released recently from detention pending trial, said taking part in the polls was not an option for Al-Wefaq because "people had already decided not to vote."
"We do not have the right to promote elections when people do not want it," he said.
The election followed an incident on Friday in which hundreds of youths were dispersed by tear gas as they tried to reach a Manama junction that used to be Pearl Square, epicentre of the month-long protest quashed in mid-March.
The square, which became a symbol of the protest inspired by uprisings sweeping the Arab World, was razed shortly after the demonstrators were driven out.
Youth groups had called for a new march Saturday towards the same site, to protest against the elections in Bahrain, as Al-Wefaq declared polling day a "day to mourn democracy."
Bahrain's authorities say 24 people were killed in the unrest earlier this year, including four policemen. The opposition puts the death toll at 30.