Bahrain's labour ministry said on Wednesday that most of the 2,462 employees fired after last year's crackdown on Shiite-led democracy protests have been reinstated or in the process of being rehired.
It said 937 sacked employees have "so far returned to their jobs," according to a statement carried by BNA state news agency, while companies have agreed to reinstate 608 others and are in the process of doing so.
The Bahrain Independent Commission of Inquiry, which in November released a scathing report on government misconduct during the spring crackdown on the Shiite-led protests, reported 1,624 complaints from people alleging they had been sacked or suspended over the protests.
The complaints came from both public and private sector employees, it said.
Signup to our newsletter and follow us on Facebook and Twitter!
The ministry said it has achieved "important results" in reinstating employees, in line with orders to settle all cases of workers dismissed or suspended by the end of January.
It said that 291 fired employees had found new jobs and did not want to return to their former jobs, while 44 others asked to return have refused and two others accepted back by their firms were awaiting security clearance.
Another 202 sacked employees did not file a complaint, nor did they answer phone calls, while five others could not return to work because their jobs no longer exit.
But the employers of 179 dismissed workers have refused to take them back, while 194 others were sacked for "reasons not related to the events," according to the ministry.
It said employees should return under the same terms, although employers had the right to give them different jobs "but under the same conditions and grade." Any transfer should not aim to "harm the employee."