The group claimed a wave of attacks on July 23 that killed 113 people nationwide
File picture shows an Iraqi soldier looking at the burning shell of a car, one of a series of car bombs targeting army and police patrols, July 23. Al-Qaeda's front group in Iraq claimed it carried out a series of attacks, mostly on security forces, in the western province of Anbar in June and July, a statement posted on jihadist forums said. © Marwan Ibrahim - AFP/File
The group claimed a wave of attacks on July 23 that killed 113 people nationwide
AFP
Last updated: August 24, 2012

Al-Qaeda front group claims 43 attacks in Iraq

Al-Qaeda's front group in Iraq claimed it carried out a series of attacks, mostly on security forces, in the western province of Anbar in June and July, a statement posted on jihadist forums said.

It comes after ISI declared a campaign last month to retake territory it had abandoned in the years since the peak of Iraq's sectarian bloodshed between 2006 and 2008.

Al-Qaeda in Iraq is regarded by Iraqi officials as significantly weaker than at the peak of its strength in 2006 and 2007, but it is still capable of spectacular mass-casualty attacks across the country.

The group claimed a wave of attacks on July 23 that killed 113 people nationwide, the deadliest violence to hit Iraq in more than two and a half years.

blog comments powered by Disqus
Stay Connected
twitter icon Twitter 8,365 linkedin icon LinkedIn 263
facebook icon Facebook 53,384 google+ icon Google+ 225